OTRU evidence-based publications serve a variety of information needs:
- OTRU Updates summarize highlights from recent research and evaluation findings.
- Special Reports provide overviews and syntheses of research in special topic areas.
- Strategy Monitoring Reports analyze the progress of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy and document changes in the province’s tobacco control climate.
- Evaluation and Project Newsletters update communities on local tobacco use statistics and how local tobacco control initiatives are working.
- Infographics visually present findings from OTRU studies
The most recent OTRU publications are listed below.
You can find our publications by browsing All OTRU Publications (by year/type of report) or by choosing options on the righthand sidebar: search by type of publication, or search by topic area. Choosing one of these options will display a list of all relevant publications.
OTRU Update: November 2016
Authors: Michael Chaiton, Robert Schwartz
Date: November 2016
Philip Morris International says that it will be marketing a new product called iQOS in Ontario. iQOS uses a special device to heat the tobacco to release an aerosol vapour that is inhaled by the smoker. The industry has argued that this type of device reduces the delivery of many chemicals in tobacco smoke but previous versions of this class of products have not been found to be acceptable. This OTRU Update explores the claims and science behind heat-not-burn tobacco products. Read more…
Other Recent Publications
OTRU has begun a new project to assess the implementation and impact of the new tobacco and e-cigarette policy measures being implemented in Ontario. This newsletter provides an overview of the new measures and outlines evaluation activities happening in the 2016/2017 year. Read more…
This update provides an overview of OTRU’s Knowledge and Evaluation Support initiative for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. We highlight two projects supported by this initiative: Evaluation of the Amended Toronto Smoke-free Bylaws, and the Love My Life Campaign. Read more…
The Canadian government may be preparing regulations for plain and standardized packaging of cigarette products. This OTRU update examines the level of public support for plain packaging in Ontario, which is among the highest in the world. Read more…