OTRU evidence-based publications serve a variety of information needs:
- OTRU Updates summarize highlights from recent research and evaluation findings.
- Special Reports provide overviews and syntheses of research in special topic areas.
- Strategy Monitoring Reports analyze the progress of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy and document changes in the province’s tobacco control climate.
- Evaluation and Project Newsletters update communities on local tobacco use statistics and how local tobacco control initiatives are working.
- Infographics visually present findings from OTRU studies
The most recent OTRU publications are listed below.
You can find our publications by browsing All OTRU Publications (by year/type of report) or by choosing options on the righthand sidebar: search by type of publication, or search by topic area. Choosing one of these options will display a list of all relevant publications.
Special Report: November 2017
Authors: Chaiton M, Luk R, Yang W, Lamont R, Schwartz R
Date: November 2017
This report updates the evidence statements from The Smoke-Free Ontario Scientific Advisory Committee report, Evidence to Guide Action: Comprehensive Tobacco Control in Ontario (2016) (SFO-SAC 2016), with the most recent evidence from systematic literature reviews.
This update adds recommendations on two new potential interventions: cessation in prisons and cessation among individuals living with HIV. It also suggests a change in the evidence statement for cessation in individuals with substance use issues from Undetermined to Promising Direction. Read more…
Other Recent Publications
Tobacco cessation interventions by healthcare providers have been shown to significantly increase cessation rates. Three surveys were conducted in 2013, 2015 and 2017 to explore the state of tobacco cessation practices and services in the Central West Tobacco Control Area Network region. Read more…
This brief Project News update on health insurance coverage and smoking cessation treatments presents the effectiveness of insurance coverage, factors affecting the adoption of insurance coverage by employers, and insurance coverage for smoking cessation treatments in Ontario. Read more…
This Knowledge and Evaluation Support newsletter highlights two projects – the Niagara Pharmacy Quit Smoking Pilot Program and the Youth Tobacco Prevention with Dental Professionals. The findings from these two studies are expected to be used to inform future regional cessation and youth tobacco prevention programming. Read more…