OTRU evidence-based publications serve a variety of information needs:
- OTRU Updates summarize highlights from recent research and evaluation findings.
- Special Reports provide overviews and syntheses of research in special topic areas.
- Strategy Monitoring Reports analyze the progress of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy and document changes in the province’s tobacco control climate.
- Evaluation and Project Newsletters update communities on local tobacco use statistics and how local tobacco control initiatives are working.
- Infographics visually present findings from OTRU studies
The most recent OTRU publications are listed below.
You can find our publications by browsing All OTRU Publications (by year/type of report) or by choosing options on the righthand sidebar: search by type of publication, or search by topic area. Choosing one of these options will display a list of all relevant publications.
Special Report: July 2016
Authors: Jolene Dubray, Robert Schwartz, Pam Kaufman
Date: July 2016
In collaboration with Toronto Public Health, OTRU conducted an evaluation of Toronto’s amended outdoor smoke-free bylaws. Findings suggest that the amended bylaws had a limited impact on smoking behaviour and exposure to secondhand smoke one year after implementation. Key successes and challenges to implementing the amended bylaws are also outlined in the report. Read more…
Other Recent Publications
The Canadian government may be preparing regulations for plain and standardized packaging of cigarette products. This OTRU update examines the level of public support for plain packaging in Ontario, which is among the highest in the world. This high level of support suggests that there is unlikely to be a substantial backlash from the general public against the implementation of plain and standardized packaging regulations. Read more…
With limited population-level research, myths about smoking cessation persist. Research from the Ontario Tobacco Survey (OTS) has improved our understanding of smoking cessation in the general population. Key facts and findings are summarized, including the frequency and number of quit attempts, the duration and effectiveness of cessation medications, trajectories of smoking, and the effectiveness of population-level initiatives on cessation behaviours. Read more…
In collaboration with public health units, OTRU conducted an evaluation of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act outdoor smoking regulations that banned smoking on restaurant/bar patios, playgrounds and sports fields effective January 1, 2015. Read more…