OTRU responds to the knowledge needs, evaluation and research requests from Ontario’s Public Health Units (PHUs), Tobacco Control Area Networks (TCANs), and other tobacco Transfer Payment Agencies (TPAs).
We provide service to our stakeholders by:
- Supporting TCAN and PHU planning activities, including providing input on prioritizing their evaluation and measurement need
- Responding to questions about general research and evaluation approaches (e.g., suggestions for evaluating innovative initiatives, narrowing research questions, design, sample, data collection methods)
- Reviewing and providing feedback on research plans and protocols
- Supporting development of data collection tools (e.g., survey questions, interview guides and focus group discussions)
- Conducting literature syntheses
- Assisting in data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Providing feedback on ethics protocols and applications
To help improve provincial coordination of tobacco control evaluation and knowledge generation efforts, we identify collaborative opportunities among TCANs, PHUs and TPAs.
Recent and Current Projects
Since April 1, 2013 OTRU has received over 60 requests for evaluation support from PHUs, TCANs, and other TPAs. Some of our current activities include:
- Literature reviews on a variety of topics including strategies to influence tobacco vendor compliance with youth access laws; the safety and effectiveness of e-cigarettes; best practices on smoking cessation interventions targeted to youth
- Development of standard intake and follow-up tools for use across smoking cessation programs
- Evaluation plans, data collection and data analysis for a number of health promotion initiatives
- Support for an environmental scan of smoking cessation services, policies and practices at public health and healthcare organizations in various regions
- Evaluation plans, development of instruments and data analysis to assess public support for and compliance with smoke-free outdoor spaces by-laws in various regions and communities, and the impact of the by-law on smokers and non-smokers.
Partner Support Project Reports
In this section you will find reports on the knowledge, evaluation and research requests addressed by OTRU.
Looking for Help?
Contact us by phone, email or through our evaluation request form.
- Email Dr. Robert Schwartz or Dr. Shawn O’Connor
- Contact Emily Di Sante at 416-978-6931 or email@example.com
- Fill out our Knowledge & Evaluation Support Request Form. It is a brief survey that helps OTRU to better understand your research needs, and the scope and anticipated timelines of your project. OTRU also receives requests through our Knowledge Exchange Advisory Group.
What Happens When a Request for Support is Submitted?
OTRU specialists will review your request for support and contact you for any additional information. OTRU staff determines if the request falls within our project mandate. The request is then prioritized, and assigned to a team member.
How Long does the Support Process Take?
Requests are reviewed as they are received and contact is made with the requesting organization within a week.