The Ontario Tobacco Research Unit was established in 1993 as the research and evaluation component of the Ontario Tobacco Strategy with initial funding from the province and in-kind contributions from the academic community. Over two and a half decades, we have become a key player in the tobacco control community in Canada and internationally.
- Exercise leadership in the design and conduct of research projects
- Increase Ontario’s capacity to conduct research, monitoring and evaluation
- Provide advice and technical expertise on program evaluation and best practices
- Analyze and disseminate science-based information for the research and public health communities
- Strengthen and broaden our provincial, national and international network of researchers, programmers and policymakers
The Dalla Lana School of Public Health at the University of Toronto is our principal sponsor. Our co-sponsor is the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. Our sponsors provide in-kind contributions of investigator time, facilities, and administrative support.
OTRU receives funding from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, external grants and contracts, and in-kind contributions from our sponsors.