OTRU evidence-based publications serve a variety of information needs:
- OTRU Updates summarize highlights from recent research and evaluation findings.
- Special Reports provide overviews and syntheses of research in special topic areas.
- Strategy Monitoring Reports analyze the progress of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy and document changes in the province’s tobacco control climate.
- Evaluation and Project Newsletters update communities on local tobacco use statistics and how local tobacco control initiatives are working.
- Infographics visually present findings from OTRU studies
The most recent OTRU publications are listed below.
You can find our publications by browsing All OTRU Publications (by year/type of report) or by choosing options on the righthand sidebar: search by type of publication, or search by topic area. Choosing one of these options will display a list of all relevant publications.
2017 Strategy Monitoring Report
Date: March 2018
- In 2015, 20% of Ontarians aged 12 years or older used tobacco products in the past 30 days including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco and waterpipe
- Tobacco control efforts resulted in only a 2.6 percentage point (statistically not significant) decrease in the prevalence of cigarette smoking over the five-year period, 2011 to 2015 (from 18% to 16.4%). At this rate, and with overall tobacco use at over 20%, Ontario will not reach the goal of less than 5% by 2035. This rate of decline also falls short of the five-percentage point decrease over five years called for in 2010 by the Tobacco Strategy Advisory Group
These are some of the findings highlighted in this year’s Strategy Monitoring Report. This report presents evaluative information about the activities and results of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy and describes Strategy infrastructure and interventions, analyzes population-level changes, and explores the contributions of interventions.
Visit the 2017 Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy Monitoring Report page to download the full report, executive summary, separate chapters or the infographic posters.
Other Recent Publications
Ontario’s ban on menthol flavouring in tobacco was one of the first internationally. OTRU is evaluating the impacts of this cutting edge regulation. Read more…
This newsletter presents the evidence of smoking cessation interventions in Indigenous populations, and smoking cessation programs targeting indigenous populations in Ontario. Read more…
This newsletter provides an overview of OTRU’s Knowledge and Evaluation Support initiative and highlights one project supported by this initiative: the That’s Risky social marketing campaign. Read more…